Official Showcase Guidelines
Submissions are Closed
The goal of the Official Showcase process is to choose a diverse group of high quality artists who are prepared to tour and perform in the FAR-West region. These artists should represent different musical genres and configurations as selected by an independent, juried judging process.
Please Note: If FAR-West is forced to cancel the conference due to COVID-19 concerns, those who submitted for an official showcase will receive a full refund of their $25 (US Dollars Twenty-Five and No Cents) submission fee. Please also see the FAR-West Cancellation Policy.
- April 1, 2020 – Submissions open
- May 4, 2020 – Submissions close
- June 30, 2020 – Judging completed
- July 7, 2020 – Finalists and alternates contacted
- July 15, 2020 – Acceptances due
- July 20, 2020 – Announcement of artists and alternates
- Not an Official Showcase or Venues’ Choice performer or featured ensemble member at FAR-West in the past two years (i.e., 2018 or 2019).
- Folk Alliance membership and conference registration are required for everyone performing in a showcase but are not required to submit.
- Artists who are selected for an Official Showcase will be able to register at the Early Bird rate.
Here is a Showcase advisory from the Official Showcase coordinators. Click https://far-west.org/showcase-advisory/ to read.
Submission Guidelines – Please Read Carefully
- Submission must include video of performances of three complete songs (not compilations of clips of songs) with a total combined length of no more than 18 minutes. Performances can be submitted on three separate videos or as a single video that contains three songs. Please do not submit more than three songs on three videos.
- At least two of the three videos must be filmed in front of a consumer audience within the past three years (filmed after March 2017). We recommend videos that are as current as possible. These videos must have a consistent performance presentation that is similar to what you would bring to FAR-West. If you are a band, a band must perform. If you are a soloist (with or without accompaniment), please show us that part of you in performance. Minor personnel changes happen in real life and can be present among your submission videos. However, you are expected to perform with the type of configuration as applying and shown in your videos.
- If there is a third video that shows an important part of what you do but is not in front of a consumer audience or has a configuration different than the other two, you may use that as your third submission if filmed within the past three years (filmed after March 2017). However, please be sure that the other two videos show how well your performance engages and connects with your audience.
- If taking video on a smart phone or tablet, be sure to turn the device to landscape orientation (horizontal, not vertical). Note: good sound quality is essential.
- Video(s) may be submitted as links on ReverbNation, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, etc. (Note: If private on VIMEO, you MUST provide the password. If on YouTube, don’t set the marker to PRIVATE. Any Facebook videos submitted should be set to public.)
- After you have submitted your application and paid the submission fee, please send an email to email@example.com indicating that you have completed the submission process. We’ll confirm receipt of your submission as soon as we can. When the judging process is complete, you will be notified of the selected Official Showcase artists.