FAR-West Mission and Goals
Folk Alliance Region West (FAR-West), the western regional chapter of Folk Alliance International, fosters and promotes traditional, contemporary and multicultural folk music, dance, storytelling and related performing arts in the USA: California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii, and in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories
We are building a stronger folk community for all ages and we encourage you to join us as we share our performances, educational opportunities and more through:
- Education — To increase understanding of the rich variety, artistic value, cultural and historical significance, and continuing relevance of folk music, dance and storytelling among educators, media and the general public.
- Networking — To provide a bridge to and from folk music, dance and storytelling organizations and needed resources, and to help those organizations link with their constituencies.
- Advocacy — To influence decision makers and resource providers on the state and local levels, insuring the growth of folk music, dance and storytelling.
- Field Development — To support and encourage the development of new and existing grassroots folk music, dance and storytelling organizations.
- Professional Development — To strengthen the effectiveness of folk music, dance and storytelling organizations by providing professional development opportunities.
FAR-West Vision Statement for 2021
View a document that tells about FAR-West’s History.
Click on this link to view our By-Laws
Would you like to get involved? FAR-West, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, was incorporated in 2003 in California and is run entirely by volunteers. We encourage you to learn more and to get involved by contacting us.